Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY KID IS SAYING HE'S HUNGOVER!?!


This story takes place a couple of years ago when Jake was in 3rd grade and ranks a magnitude 10 on the Richtor scale of embarrassment. This was when I was working again full time and less hopeless (I joke). Anyway, Craig and I usually spent our weekends with the kids and Sunday after church was when the kids would stay at grandma and grandpa's. During this  time is when Craig and I would go out for romantic dinners, movies, what ever we wanted to do with out the kids putting us in social headlocks.

Well, this particular Sunday Craig's parents were out of town or they just need a weekend away from our monsters. We looked and looked for a sitter, when finally Craig insisted on one of his friends sit for us. One of his still single, irresponsible, friends from college. Craig calls his friend, Brian, and I'm pretty sure Craig probably black mailed him into babysitting. We go out and enjoy ourselves. Come home, and no big deal the kids are all put to sleep so I don't ask questions and go to bed.

The next day at work I get a call from school with the nurse saying that my son is claiming that he is "HUNG OVER". Looking back, I can't even remember where I was. Was I in a meeting, in my office, at lunch, I don't know but it must have been priceless if someone witnessed me on the phone, "What do you mean my kid is hung over!?! I'm heading there now!". Then, I storm off not as to say a word to anyone. All I remember after that is driving like a mentally insane person on the way to the school screaming at my husband for his friend giving my 8 year old alcohol. Don't worry folks it's not as bad as it seems (just keep reading).

Turns out that Jake must have been trying to get Brian to play with him. Brian must have said that he didn't have to play with him because he was hung over. So Jake being Jake, assumed that he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do if he just exclaimed that he was "HUNG OVER" like uncle Brian explained to him. WTF, Brian!

After I settled down and stopped seeing red I went to explain this to the nurse and the teacher. For the rest of the year I'm almost positive that the teacher, nurse, and probably the entire staff thought that my husband and I were Alcoholics. They probably still do, I don't know.

Over time you learn to not care about what the heck people think of you as long as you and your family are happy. And we are! All you can do is shrug it off your shoulders and prepare yourself for life's next big adventure, am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment